The doctor Honoratus Bonnevie built the house in which the Ibsen museum is located in 1756. From 1759 to 1863 the Andersen family owned the building. Karen Geelmuyden, born Andersen, eventually decided to rent out some rooms on the ground floor of the house.
The Ibsen Museum in Grimstad hired Harald Nygård as a specialist in drawing faces on the basis of concrete descriptions. He made a drawing, which shows how the young Ibsen may have looked when he arrived in Grimstad at the end of November 1843.